Monday, June 23, 2008

mooda


Some days it was like a bathtub and all we could do was motor.

The awful Genoa that was up during the storm, thankfully without the pole. Here weve got it on the spreader to take advantage of every wisp of wind.

We came across a storm, though not always through one, almost every other day. There was a waterspout in this one.

The worst storm we had. Were right in the middle of it- each ring is 4 miles.

About 2 or 3 hours into it, im staring at the Genoa praying that it tears to shreds so that we can dive down below, ha. Its a 30 year old sail and it held strongly, pulling is through the waves like a train. The storm lasted about 4 hours, sometimes with the first saftey line on both sides underwater as we plowed through the waves. All I heard out of David for a few hours was a constant grunt as he pulled on the tiller handle with everything he had. Every so often a wave would crash into the cockpit. I was able to get the mainsail down, but couldnt get up to the Genoa as the bowsprit was diving well under the waves often. Kenny handed us lifejackets with harnesses and EPERBS, then we (David and I) tied ourselves into the cockpit to ride it out. I would rather have been in the cockpit than down below where Mike and Kenny were getting thrown all over. Kenny was tossed into a brass porthole wingnut that gave him a deep cut to his forehead. It covered his face in blood and he made it into the bathroom to wash it off. Were still finding blood tracked all over the boat. He could have used a few stitches for sure, but he wouldnt let me sew him up with the suture my dad gave me. I was pretty dissapointed at that.

Just a few minutes before the beverly hillbillies set sail for bermuda. We cleaned up on the way, which included deflating our dinghy. When you have no life raft ("IF we had a liferaft and needed
one it would just blow away when we inflated it anyway"-David) its not the happiest moment of
your life- deflating your dinghy a hundred miles off the coast.

Baking bread- thanks for the know how mom!

My first loaves. Ive been having some trouble getting them to rise as high as I would like them to. Im trying to get a softer texture.

Flying fish are everywhere. Heres a small one that flew into the cockpit during the night. Thats Davids hand with the wedding ring in case any ladies are wondering.

Smooth seas and Kenny on watch. He flew home from Bermuda, leaving David, his dad Mike, and me. My favorite invention in the world is now the Aries windvane. It does most of the steering for us and is a sanity saver.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Man, that looks amazing, but I think I would probably go nuts if I were out there. I'm glad to see you're doing well. Good luck with the rest of the voyage.