Saturday, September 6, 2008

Bermuda Journal

Sunday 6-22-08 10:32PM
''The world we find ourselves in! We all have this nostalgia for a world that never existed.''- says the man down the dinghy dock from me in St. Georges, Bermuda. Instantly C.S. Lewis came to mind and I wish I had a chance to talk to Mr. Dinghy before he buzzed off into the night harbor with his friends. I just finished A Severe Mercy on the sail, and my mind was still full of nostalgia and longings beyond this world.

Tuesday 6-24-08 10:47AM

I had my first real shower today since we left Charleston. It was at Captain Smoke's marina in the little blue building. The shower was as hot at it would go and amazing. Im not at all excited about the 30 days to the Azores. Ive been spending as much time as possible on land here in St. Georges. On sunday the 22nd I finally had a chance to spend some time on shore alone. Its hard to do when youre anchored in the harbor and only have one dinghy. It was already 4pm and I was running antenna wires for the GPS and HF radio. I finished my job with the wiring, and tired to see what I could do next. Space was really limited on the boat, and it was hard to have more than one or two people working at the same time. The v-berth is full of at least 7 different head sails and other things, and we have to rearrange the cabin to sleep, and re arrange once we get up to get to tools and work areas. Usually we also rearrange to work and eat. So three people working on projects at the same time can be more of a hassle than productive. It was 5pm before I got to the dock, but I made the most of it and started walking to Ferry Reach Point, where there is a beautiful park. The undeveloped land was wonderful, everywhere I walked smelled deeply of flowers, which were brushing against me on both sides of the path, treetops swaying slowly in the warm breeze. The beaches were white sand with coral giving it hints of pink. Smooth clear blue green water that seemed extra salty rolled softly into Whale Bone Bay. I was very lonely when I swam at sunset alone.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Now this is beautiful melonchaly.

Will said...

thank you thank you